Friday, April 4, 2008

The Light Shines--review of new Stones movie

Wow.

For those who need a further explanation, read on.

In the review below, I basically pan the soundtrack to Shine A Light by the Rolling Stones. But, as I expected, you really have to see the boys to appreciate their songs. All I can say is seeing is believing.

For all who are saying "I'm not really a Rolling Stones fan," can I ask, Do you like rock and roll? If so, then please understand that these boys perfected the art. Period. It would be like saying, "I love baseball, but I would never want to see Babe Ruth." Or, "I'm a big fan of opera, but I don't like Pavaratti." The Stones are the core of rock and roll. They have been for 45 years, and they don't look like they are ready to step aside any time soon.

Martin Scorsese assembled an incredible cast of cinematographers for this film. The visuals are stunning, especially seen on an IMAX screen. Seeing the sweat dripping down Mick's neck, or Keef blowing a cig butt out of his mouth with ash flying adds flavor to the song you will not get just listening to it on your iPod. The concert was in New York's Beacon Theatre, a rather small venue that also lends a special atmosphere to the sound. There are no huge props on an even huger stage. There is no B stage for three songs. It all happens in a rather subdued set, which makes it all feel very personal. No elaborate costumes, even for Mick. (I do hope there was not a draft in that theatre, or Lisa Fisher would have caught a nasty chest cold.) Keef, as always, dressed as if he just had an accident in a thrift store. Actually, he looked like Jack Sparrow's father. He even wore a skull and crossbones pin on his jacket.

You can read the review of the individual songs in my previous post. I will just add a few comments here.

Of the three guests, Jack White was the best. He and Mick teamed up for a fun and memorable version of Loving Cup. Jack traded verses with Mick and guitar licks with Keef and Ronnie. It worked perfectly. Near the end of the show, Christina Aguilara came on stage to sing Live With Me with Mick. Now, I am not a fan of pop music any more than I am a fan of having my hand put through a meat grinder. I wouldn't know any of Aguilara's "hits," nor would I care. But--wow--she rocked in this song. Maybe the best version of the Let It Bleed selection I have heard.

The middle guest, blues guitarist Buddy Guy, was another story. In the review of the album, I say that the song he contributes, Muddy Waters' Champagne and Reefer, is just horrible. Having seen it, I understand a bit better why it is so bad. I don't think the boys and Guy ever rehearsed the song before. It is like they are seeing each other for the first time. Mick saves it by yanking some great blues out of his harmonica, but Buddy Guy is playing with a band only he can hear. At the end of the song, however, Keef takes off the Guild hollow body guitar he has just played and gives it to Guy. Nice gesture. Maybe next time they will practice together before taking the stage.

Keef is in great form the whole show. He is having a ball, whether ripping riffs while chatting with Charlie, tossing picks to the audience, or leaning on Ronnie's shoulder. For his first beer song he leaves his guitar behind and sings You've Got The Silver, but looks a bit lost without his constant prop. He even breaks off an air-guitar riff. His second beer song, Connections, is the weakest song of the set, but Scorsese interjects some interview snippets in it, so it goes quickly.

There is old footage of the Stones scattered between songs adding a bit of humor to the show.

French journalist to Keef: "What question are you asked most often?"
Keef: "The one you just asked me now."

Ronnie is also at the top of his game, whether ripping chords on a Les Paul or gliding on the pedal steel. Charlie is, well, Charlie. He never misses a beat, but you have to wonder what he is thinking. "Let's see. Tomorrow I will start by shopping for shirts at Marc Jacobs, then jackets at Dior Homme. If I have time, I'll pop into Christian Louboutin and try on some new loafers." In the introductions, he actually addressess the audience. Get this. He says, "Hello." The drummer speaks.

Mick is vintage Mick. His dance moves would be great for a 24 year old. But someone who is 64? The only way I could move like that is if someone poured a bottle of Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce down my pants. His energy is frantic, which again adds to the sound in a unique way. You do not see Mick dancing when playing the CD in the car.

Downsides to the show, other than the Buddy Guy song? None, really. Well, other than I thought I would be out of place by jumping up in the IMAX and dancing to the songs. I wanted to sing along, I wanted to applaud at the end of each song. I felt like I was at the concert (but only paid $10.50 rather than $150).

OK--go see this. It is just outstanding fun. You might just find yourself actually liking the Rolling Stones after all.

1 comment:

Mark Keefer said...

I'll have to check it out. Sounds awesome.