Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Next week, great week

It's always fun to look forward, isn't it? I like the days from Thanksgiving to Christmas to goooo sloooooow so I can enjoy the buildup. Now, next week isn't Christmas, but there are a couple of fun things coming.

Monday afternoon: Opening Day in Cincinnati. There is nothing to compare with opening day in Redsland. Kids skip school throughout southwest Ohio whether they have tickets for the game or not. There is a parade from Findlay Market to Fountain Square in downtown Cincy. Great American Ballpark is packed. And then there is a baseball game.

Cincinnati was the first professional baseball team (starting in 1869), and they used to get the honor of being the first baseball game of the season. They still get to open at home every year, but thanks to ESPN, there are games played before the Reds take the field for the first time. This year, two American League teams teed it up in Japan almost a full week before the Reds. Of course, the Reds play real baseball--National League style. So I hardly count AL games as official games.

Anyway, I am in Tulsa, and may be in Oklahoma City, when the Reds game (against the Arizona Diamondbacks) starts. So how will I celebrate? I already bought a Cincinnati Reds tie. I'll wear it to church Sunday (surprising most who have never seen me wear a tie to church ever until this past Sunday, and annoying the handful of Pittsburgh fans in the house) and to Mid-America Christian University (where I ply my trade) on Monday. And will find a way to listen to the game. I will be with the boys in red and white in spirit.

Let the games begin.

The second fun thing coming up next week is the debut of the new Rolling Stones movie, Shine A Light, directed by Martin Scorsese. Yes, I will be going to see it at the IMAX. I will report in full after the viewing experience.

Anything coming your way next week?

No comments: