Sunday, May 11, 2008

Graduation time!

Yesterday was commencement at Mid-America Christian University. Beautiful day for it. I went because, well, I have too. I am part of the administration there, so it is rather expected of me to show up. But I think I would have gone anyway had I known how fun it would be.

I lined up to march in at the end of the administrators and just in front of the faculty. (Next year I will get a cap and gown so I look more academic. The blue suit looked very "director of strategic marketing-ish," but a master's gown with my University of Oklahoma colors would be a lot more fun for commencement.) I turned to introduce myself to the gentleman behind me.

"Hi, I'm Jeff."
"I'm retarded. Retired. I mean, retired."

I knew right away I had found a friend. I never did catch his name. He must be north of 80 years old, but sharp as a knife. He grew up in Dayton, as did I. (We had a long march, from the administration building to the arena where the ceremony was held, so we got to talk a lot.) His memories include buildings and schools that are no longer in existence. He taught religion at MACU, and I'll bet he was a hoot to have as a professor.

"You know the best thing about these ceremonies?" he asked.
"What's that?"
"When the guy praying at the end says, 'Amen' and we all get to go home."

We got to our seats--second row; at least I am not a vice president and didn't have to sit on the stage--and he starts digging in in his pockets. Pulls out some candy that we shared throughout the next hour.

The speaker was Lesa Smaligo, an education lobbyist for the Oklahoma Legislature. Not a really big position. I mean, it is above a greeter at Wal-Mart, but not by much. But she was a great choice for commencement speaker--her speech was less than ten minutes long.

"Is that it?" asked my elderly friend. "Is she finished?"
"Looks like it," I said. "She's sitting down."
"I like her! She can speak again next year if she keeps it short like that."

Then came the graduates. Happy and smiling. I don't yet know many of the students--I only knew one graduate by name--but they were a good-looking group. One kid did a somersault onto the stage, got up, wrapped the president in a bear hug then waved his diploma wildly as he walked off. I thought he should have got a bigger ovation than he did. Most just smiled, shook hands with those on stage, and walked off. I think there should have been more gymnastics, maybe some dancing. But then again, I want clowns and dancing at my funeral, so what do I know?

As we filed out, my new friend seemed to have had a good time.

"That was shorter than last year. Good, good."

I hope to sit with him again next year. Maybe I will bring the candy...

No comments: